Saturday, June 27, 2015

Quilted Wall hanging


I bought this panel from Oughterard, County Galway, some time last year and it has kept me busy through the cold winter months. It is very rewarding to quilt by a warm open fire. Now that summer has arrived, the quilt is done.

I tried my hand at trapunto quilting and there are several techniques found on youtube. I chose the one that I like and then there's no stopping.

The term "trapunto" means "to embroider" in Italian, and "to prick with a needle" in Latin. When speaking of this quilting technique, both meanings apply. Trapunto is a technique which may be done by hand or machine that creates a noticeably raised design. In trapunto, also known as "stuffed work" by American and English quilters, extra padding is slipped behind the quilt top to create the puffed effect. 

I prefer to do it by hand. In addition, I did shadow quilting (stippling) as well in the areas surrounding a trapunto motif to further accentuate the effect.


I have a few more panel pieces and I can't wait to work on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment